Llenroc Frontyard During Fall Sunny Backyard Image Front of Llenroc Architecture

Llenroc

History

See more below

Constructed in 1875, the beautiful Llenroc mansion was the home of Ezra Cornell and is the last remaining building associated with his personal life. Cornell opened a quarry near campus to acquire limestone for the construction of the house. This limestone was referred to colloquially as "Llenroc" ("Cornell" spelled backward) after the name of the quarry's owner, and the house would eventually share the same nickname.

Llenroc was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1980, largely due to its idiosyncratic Gothic-revival style and architectural splendor. Glass chandeliers, fireplaces, and ornate carvings decorate the interior of our house, harkening back to Ezra's instructions during Llenroc's construction. Llenroc's magnificence is not limited to its interior. With over two acres of grounds, Llenroc’s residents enjoy an expansive backyard offering majestic views of Cayuga Lake and the surrounding Ithaca area.

For leasing information and a virtual tour of Llenroc, visit our Student Housing page.